Nu Hair in Dallas-Fort Worth staff recognizes that children’s hair loss may affect how children feel about themselves. Kids hair loss is much more common than most people suspect. Since 1986, Nu Hair in DFW Texas has been providing wigs for children with hair loss problems. Hair loss can affect a child’s self-confidence and limit them from many activities that children do. With our wigs, we give the kids their hair and their conficendence back. Catherine Wiley, M.D., of the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, estimates that children’s hair loss is responsible for 3% of all pediatric office visits. Over 2 million children are suffering from medical hair loss baldness or thinning hair symptoms. Heading the Dallas hair loss treatment clinic is Marvin Friedman, a leader in non-surgical permanent hair replacement solutions. The DFW hair replacement expert says that children’s hair loss is devastating phenomena for young kids and grown-up children, with significant psychological consequences.
Dermatological symptoms in children's hair loss - DFW TX
According to the “Hair Loss in Children: Common and Uncommon Causes; Clinical and Epidemiological Study,” the most common symptoms of hair loss condition are:
- Asymptomatic patchy hair loss (40%).
- Scaly scalp (22.9%),
- The chronic diffuse form of hair loss (21.4%),
- Change in hair texture and color (8.1%)
- Pruritus (5.7%)
- Pain in the scalp (1%)
With children hair loss condition, in most cases, over 50% of them will see healthy hair growth with early treatments in less than a year. Other children with hair loss will need to try several medications for which will be useful to resume healthy hair growth. Note that kids hair loss is not due to vitamin deficiencies, poor scalp circulation, headbands, or hats.
What causes hair loss in children?
Common causes of hair loss in children include telogen effluvium, tinea capitis, bacterial infections, traction alopecia, trichotillomania, and alopecia areata.
Common causes of children's hair loss
- Tinea capitis was the common cause of hair loss in children (40.0%)
- Alopecia areata (26.2%)
- Telogen effluvium (17.6%).
- The chronic diffuse form of hair loss
- Traction alopecia
List of illnesses that may cause children’s hair loss
- Fungal infection such as ringworm on the scalp called Tinea capitis
- Telogen effluvium
- Tinea capitis
- Hair pulling called Trichotillomania
- Traction alopecia
- Alopecia areata
- Thyroid disorders
- Diabetes mellitus
- Autoimmune disease such as systemic lupus
- Body stress, physical or mental
- Chemotherapy or radiation
- Nutritional deficiency such as iron and zinc elements
- Structural abnormalities of the hair shaft that usually results in easy breakage and dry, brittle hair.